Finally, the time has come to show you the biggest project I am currently working on. Since I really love Daenerys from Game of Thrones, I saw no other way than to cosplay her. I had a hard time deciding which outfit to choose, because she has so many beautiful ones, but I decided to make her iconic blue dress she wears in season 3. (But probably all of her other outfits are still on my wish list now… oh well :D). If you want to see how I progressed, you should definitely read on. Also, I am Khaleesi and I command you to! 😉
1. Have a plan
First things first, before I started to touch any fabric, I made sure I had a plan how to go about it. That means, I started out with doing research. I collected almost any pic there is from the dress and I also found a really helpful guide by Nichole from Jellyfish Soup. I’m sure you have seen her version of Daenerys, if you are into GoT cosplay. She wrote a really great guide on how to draft the dress pattern and sewing the dress. If you are interested in doing this cosplay yourself you should definitely check it out, as it was really helpful to me. I basically followed her steps for measuring, and then proceeded to draw pattern pieces on packing paper. The drawing was quite difficult and I redid it many times until I was finally kind of happy.
2. Make a test piece
This step is really tedious, but equally important, and you will be glad if you did it. You really want to make a test piece out of cheap or leftover fabric. I used an old tablecloth for mine. Just sew everything together like you would want for your final dress, but with a really big seam allowance so you can change everything when you try it on.
This is me trying on my test piece, and I damn sure made lots of changes to it, because my original pattern drawing apparently really sucked. 😀 When I was happy with how it fit, I cut it up into its pieces and used them as the final pattern.
3. Fabric Shopping
I waited with the fabric shopping until my pattern from the test piece was done, so that I knew how much fabric I would need exactly. And to find the right fabric was really hard. Either the fabric looked to shiny, or not shiny enough and too coarse. The perfect fabric, which has exactly the right colour, texture and weave, would be this beautiful crude silk, that I have found. But it was just way too pricey for a costume which I wasn’t even sure I wouldn’t fuck up during the process. So what I ended up using was actually tablecloth again 😀 But you really wouldn’t guess, because it’s a really precious fabric with just the right amount of shine in the perfect shade of blue.
4. Sewing the actual dress
This was the hardest, and also the most fulfilling part of the process. It was especially hard, because I have never sewn a complex dress like this and I had no experience whatsoever with things like darts, fabric lining and zippers. Of course I started with sewing the lining fabric to the dress parts, as you can see in the picture above. The upper piece has the lining side up, while the piece on the bottom shows the dress fabric. The fringes are from the lining fabric, and actually quite annoying. I will try to find a material that doesn’t frazzle that much in the future.
Also, the cutout in the back was really annoying, and I am not 100 % happy with the results when I wear the dress. I still have to try and wear a bra underneath, to see if it shows or not.
I don’t want to show a picture of the worn dress just yet, but I can assure you, it is done, and it actually doesn’t fall apart. Yay. 😀 What’s still missing is the detailing on the shoulders, i.e. the dragonscale stitching and embroidery. I am still not sure, whether I really want to do that or not, because I’m terribly afraid of ruining the dress. So maybe, I’ll just leave it like it is. We’ll see. 🙂